Mellieħa Primary School was opened in 1871. At the time, the enrolment reached 57 boys who were put into one class. In the following years the total number of pupils varied between 30 and 40. In 1881 attendance was at its lowest – a mere 22. The introduction of Compulsory Education in 1947 sent the figure up to 412. The first premises were at 17, Parish Square. Other addresses followed which served as schools for girls and others for boys. The school’s present location in New Mill Street goes back to 1948. Then, it was a one storey building until a second story was added in the late 50’s. In 1970, part of the premises served also for a decade as an Area Secondary School for girls. In 1880, the school became co-educational accommodating boys and girls under one roof. Today at Mellieħa Primary there are 17 classes in the Primary and 10 in Kindergarten with a total of 460 pupils.
Year 6 Classes
Our school forms part of the Maria Regina College, one of the ten colleges we have in Malta. It is situated in the Northern part of the island in one of the most popular touristic towns.
As part of our School Development Plan, it was decided to focus on creative writing, therefore our teachers and the eLearning teacher decided to set a blog to publish and share our writings. They can be viewed in Our Writings tab.
This scholastic year there are two Year 6 classes.